- Within the wider context of the EBRD’s investment into the reform and rolling stock renewal of ENR, systems and processes required upgrade to ensure adherence to environmental, health and safety standards.
- Environics, in association with Corporate Solutions (UK), Railisitics (Germany), and Mena Rail (Egypt) were assigned the institutional support and capacity building project to introduce new systems and processes, including:
- Development of an Environmental and Safety Management System and associated environmental operational controls, in the context of a newly set up environmental function within ENR;
- Development of a Safety Management System and associated procedures for accident and incident reporting, safety certification & approval, risk assessment, as well as safety audit & inspection;
- Procedures are to be developed for introduction of EHS criteria and guidelines in the procurement of equipment and in the selection of contractors for rail services;
- Introduction of an internal EHS grievance mechanism system for ENR workers;
- Development of an EHS stakeholder engagement plan for external stakeholders & the general public, including an external grievance mechanism.
- In completion of the scope of EBRD’s EHS Institutional Support and Capacity Building for the Egyptian National Railways (ENR), a second phase of the project is implemented. Phase II of the project aimed to:
- Equip and empower ENR’s Environmental Department to implement the EMS throughout its depots;
- Raise the Environmental Department’s visibility within ENR;
- Equip and empower a pilot depot to implement the EMS throughout ENR’s depots.
- Environics, in association with Corporate Solutions and Mena Rail, were commissioned to carry out the following tasks:
- Environmental review of the pilot depot
- Undertaking site-specific environmental aspects and impact analysis
- Development and implementation of the Environmental Action Plan for the pilot depot
- Preparation of Inspection and Auditing Plan, and conducting the associated necessary audit
- Monitoring of environmental performance
- Conducting supportive classroom training for the Environmental Department on EMS implementation and EMS roll-out post project