The Mainstream Biodiversity into Tourism Project, in collaboration with the Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency (EEAA) and its partners and stakeholders, is in the process of developing environmental conditions for the maintenance and renovation of marine walkways, jetties and other light beach constructions.
These conditions are to encourage a new administrative system that allows for establishing such maintenance works upon notifying the concerned authorities, which will then be responsible for proper follow-up. This approach will facilitate the maintenance processes essential for tourism projects, while abiding by environmental requirements and stipulations.
Environics was commissioned to develop these environmental conditions, which were prepared based on a consultation methodology, and within the frameworks of national laws and regulations, as well as international best practices.
The drafted document presenting the environmental conditions comprised:
- Objectives, methodology and challenges.
- Terminology and Definitions.
- Institutional and Legal Framework.
- Cases to which the conditions should be applied.
- Notification and Follow-up System.
- Description of the maintenance and renovation works subject to the conditions.
- Details of the proposed conditions (general and specific conditions).
- Recommendations for next steps.