AB Electrolux, Sweden (Electrolux) had acquired the Olympic Group of Egypt and needed to conduct an Environmental and Safety Due Diligence (ESDD) for 15 of its facilities. The ESDD, which Environics was contracted to conduct, aimed at identifying the environmental and compliance issues that may result in material expenditures or significantly impair operations, and providing a general review of the company’s Health and Safety (H&S) management policies.
Environics was later contracted to conduct a focused Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Audit for ten of these facilities to confirm their compliance with the Electrolux Workplace Code of Conduct and Workplace Standard, the Egyptian legal requirements, and the IFC Guidelines.
The EHS Audits entailed:
– Investigating the cessation of harmful agents in production, through detailed examination of all processes
– Assessing hazards, focusing on occupational and environmental hazards, and including fire risks
– Confirming the termination of inappropriate hazardous waste transports
– Developing a sampling and analysis plan to ensure the compliance of the facilities with the regulatory limits
– Conducting sampling and analysis campaigns at the facilities
A comprehensive EHS Audit report was submitted to Electrolux, detailing the findings and presenting the recommendations.