The training was part of the global Safety Excellence training program that is being rolled out in several countries worldwide. It aimed at enabling the different levels of staff involved at LOTO activities to understand and implement the LOTO requirements as applicable – from the site manager ultimately responsible for the program to operators performing autonomous maintenance activities.
To achieve this objective, key representatives from the different target groups were identified and selected for the training and coaching course on-site in order to have them acting as multipliers within their site.
The LOTO Training was based on engagement and participation. It covered LOTO corporate requirements through three modules including theoretical elements and practical application and comprising terminology and procedures, good practice examples, case studies, action plan, logistics, reporting and role plays.
The training modules mainly covered:
• LOTO Hazard identification and risk assessment.
• Local roles & responsibilities.
• Definition of facility-wide lockout inventory.
• Planning and preparation of LOTO (steps, devices and procedures, emptying, tryout).
• Safe Work Permit requirements.
• LOTO removal and startup.
• LOTO training.