- Within the context of the Green Energy Transition Scheme of the European Bank for Reconstitution and Development (EBRD), aiming to promote investments that are in a direction of green energy transition and low carbon economies, Environics, in association with LDK Consultants (Greece), was commissioned to perform initial reviews of the following proposed investments:
TCI Sanmar facility in Port Said, one of the main PVC producers in Egypt and the MENA region, comprising three industrial plants.
- The review entailed:
- Assessment of the levels of resources consumption and emissions related to two projects for which financing is requested, namely Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP) and liquid CaCl2 plant, including an overview of carbon intensity against international benchmarks and EU Taxonomy, as well as an
- Estimation of Bioethanol Carbon Credits, a supplementary analysis related to the reduction in CO2 emissions (carbon credits), due to the use of bio-ethylene produced from sugar molasses instead of ethylene from fossil fuel.
Assessment of the levels of resources consumption and emissions (January 2022)
- An overview of production and energy consumption of the complex was provided. An important element of the assignment was the assessment of the impact of the proposed investments on CO2 emissions. In that context carbon intensity benchmarking of the respective facilities was performed based on Taxonomy technical criteria for VCM, as per recent benchmark published within Commission Delegated Regulation ( C(2021) 2800 final) of June 2021  and more specifically on the basis of the Substantial Contribution and Do No Significant Harm (DNSH) baselines.
- Summary results from GHG emissions assessment were presented per respective stages, which reflect the baseline and future conditions at three discrete stages namely:
- Stage I: current situation with production corresponding to nominal capacity.
- Stage II: short term measures including zero gap technology at NaOH electrolysers and EE measures recommended as a result of a recent energy audit.
- Stage IIIa: medium term measures including CCPP, solar PV.
- The assessment’s specific activities encompassed:
- Collecting and reviewing background information from plant.
- Conducting a site visit at TCI facilities
- Verifying and critically assessing the proposed investments
- Assessing measures on energy and water efficiency
- Quantifying energy savings, and CO2 emission reductions
- Benchmarking vs Taxonomy criteria
- Proposing alternative solutions for improvement of carbon footprint and provide cost benefit analysis of the proposed measures.
- The study report encompassed: Description of TCI Sanmar and its facilities, including installations and processes, Raw materials, products and wastes, and Utilities; Description of an investment plan; Assessment of resources; Critical Review; Proposals for improvement, and Conclusions and Recommendations.