- The Egyptian Electric Utility and Consumer Protection Regulatory Agency (ERA) and the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ) are working on joint activities managed by the Egyptian-German Committee on Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency and Environmental Protection.
- Within the scope of these activities, GIZ commissioned Environics to conduct two studies.
“Boosting Capacity of Electric Generation through the Use of Turbo Expanders in Natural Gas (NG) Networks,” which:
- Investigated the possibility of increasing the generation capacity through the use of Turbo Expanders in NG networks based on the understanding that the market could be driven by the materialization of the growing demand.
- Assessed the present and future increase in demand for NG, and reviewed the expansions in NG networks.
- Identified the possible installation locations and electric capacity output of the turbo expanders.
- Analysed several aspects of the proposed electric generation method.
- Included a techno-economical assessment and a marginal environmental impact evaluation for the turbo expanders approach.
- Reviewed the current institutional setup and legislative framework for such proposed supply of electrical energy, assessed its potential implementation scheme, and proposed an implementation program to adopt it.
- Discussed the roles of various stakeholders, including owners of the NG networks and pressure reduction stations, are discussed in the study.