The Egyptian Propylene and Polypropylene Company (EPPC) commissioned Environics to conduct an EIA for expanding the processes of its facility in al-Gamil Industrial Area, Port Said. The proposed expansion was to produce three types of polypropylene in solid pellet forms.
The production components covered by the EIA included: process lines, wastewater treatment and discharge, and boilers and related demineralization units.
Environics conducted a relevant document review and carried out site visits and detailed field investigations to complete the EIA, which included:
– Overview of the relevant policy, legal, and administrative framework;
– Detailed description of all units and processes of the proposed project;
– Survey of the physical, biological and socio-economic environmental aspects, such as:
o Climate; air quality and noise; geomorphology; geology; earthquakes; groundwater resources; soil, and landscape character,
o Habitats, flora, and fauna of the project’s hinterland, and the relevant biological environment of Lake Manzala,
o Demography; infrastructure; economic activities; employment and education; health, and archaeological sites;
– Analysis of project alternatives and identification of environmental impacts and their mitigation measures;
– A comprehensive environmental management and monitoring plan, and
– Reporting on the public consultation activities: scoping phase and disclosure meeting.