- El Shark Company for Ceramics Industry was in the process of establishing a ceramics and porcelain production plant at the Abu Radi Industrial Zone of El Wasiti, Beni Sueif. The company commissioned Environics to carry out the EIA required for this project.
- According to the Egyptian environmental laws and regulations, this project required a “Form B” EIA. Environics prepared the study, which covered: The baseline environment and the construction and operation phases; the production units and processes; wastes and emissions and their treatment and disposal, and assessment of the environmental impacts.
- Environics prepared Form-B EIA for the addition of a Decoration Unit to the current Gloria plant located in Beni Suef industrial area. The study covered the plant’s main components, including: the color preparation unit, printing molds, electric drying, decoration lines, the furnace fueled by natural gas, and sorting & packaging lines.
- The study encompassed: a general description of the project and the surrounding area, the construction and operation phases, assessment of environmental impacts, and the Environmental Management & Monitoring plan for the new unit.
- The plan will be integrated in the existing plan to reduce/mitigate potential negative impacts.
- Gloria Ceramics was planning to increase its production capacity by establishing an additional production plant in its facility at Beni Suef. This project required a Category C EIA, which Environics was commissioned to carry out.
- The project comprised constructing: a new plant; ball mills for raw materials; underground storage tanks; spray dryer; silos for storing ceramic powder, and production lines.
- The ESIA fully described all project components and processes, the baseline environment was assessed, the project impacts were analyzed and the alternatives were presented. Mitigation measures were proposed along with an environmental management and self-monitoring plan. Air dispersion modeling was employed to assess the project emissions.