- The tourist resort development projects at the Western Mediterranean North Coast have resulted in beach erosion impacts.
- To combat deterioration, Petro Beach Resort was in the process of carrying out beach protection works, that took into consideration limiting further potential erosion effects to its east, and commissioned Environics to prepare the required environmental studies.
Scoped EIA for the beach protection works
- The EIA for these works covered:
- Description of the project and the proposed beach works, as well as a legislative framework.
- Baseline physical, biological & socio-economic aspects.
- Analysis of project alternatives.
- Assessment of impacts & proposing mitigation measures.
- Environmental management & monitoring plan.
Shore Protection and Shoreline Impact Assessment
A Shore Protection and Shoreline Impact Assessment Study was carried out for the resort, comprising:
– Data for study area, including bathymetric, tidal and shoreline data, as well as data on offshore waves;
– Discussion and analysis of nearshore waves, including:
o Model description,
o Input data,
o Model set up and
o Model results
– Presentation of sediment budget;
– Presentation of modelling shoreline changes, including:
o Model description;
o Model setup and calibration;
o Expected future shoreline changes;
o Mitigation measures, and
o Shoreline impact assessment for selected protection
Full Environmental Audit
- Environics conducted a full environmental audit for Petrobeach activities and management of environmental aspects.
- The audit included assessment of the environmental status quo, including: General information about the village, its components and service units, approvals and environmental registers, emissions and workplace pollutants, wastewater, hazardous substances, solid wastes, hazardous wastes, and contingency measures, as well as the pollution abatement units in the village.
- Non-compliance practices were highlighted and corrective actions were recommended.