DP World Sokhna was planning to design, construct, operate, and prepare the infrastructure for the additional container terminal (port) to accommodate the maximum capacity. The expansion of the new container terminal will consist of a Jetty, dredging activities to construct a navigation area for the new jetty, and a paved supporting area, in addition to the related buildings and services.
- Environics was commissioned by AMIRAL Technical Management Services to prepare Environmental & Social Impact Assessment study for the proposed project.
- The study aimed at assessing the environmental impacts associated with the construction activities including the dredging processes and water drainage, and the proposed method for discharging water to the marine environment. In addition, the study covered the operation phase of the basin, as well as social aspects mainly related to impacts on labour including accommodation, transportation & working environment.
- The EIA described the project, presented the relevant legal framework; studied the baseline environment; investigated project alternatives; assessed project impacts and recommended mitigation measures, as well as provided framework for the environmental management & monitoring plan.
- Environics was recommissioned by DP World Sokhna to modify the ESIA study for Basin “2” to include changing the alternative of the dredged spoil to using the dredged materials in land reclamation according to the results of Sediment Plume Modeling due to Dredging and Land Reclamation in Sokhna Port, which was carried out by Environics as well.
- The modified ESIA for Basin “2” included modifying and updating the following chapters: Project description, Analysis of Alternatives, Impact Assessment and Environmental Management Plan.